[Infowarrior] - (Stupid) security advice from Apple

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Dec 1 14:38:01 UTC 2008

While running multiple AVs across an enterprise (ie, one brand for
servers, another for desktops) is a nice, though not fail-safe layered
defense, the last time I checked, running multiple AV products on the
same desktop system was considered "bad" given how they can false-
positive each other and how much extra load that scanning places on
the CPU. In my case, aside from a test lab for AV research, I never
ran multiple AVs on Windows machines, and here's Apple's recommending
it.[1]

One could parse the vague Apple comment as advice to run "one of
several" AV products - with the hopes if you're compromised by
undetected malware on your current AV product, just buy a different
product and maybe it'll detect it. Or, they're saying "go forth, buy,
and install multiple AV products on the same system" and then sit back
to hope one of 'em detects bad things.  Either way it's goofy advice.

--rf

[1] Intego, moreso than Symantec, IMHO, is a first-rate FUD factory on
Mac security and I view much of their breathlessly-sensational
security-threat press statements with great scepticism.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2550?viewlocale=en_US

Mac OS: Antivirus utilities

    * Last Modified: November 21, 2008
    * Article: HT2550

"Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities
so that virus programmers have more than one application to
circumvent, thus making the whole virus writing process more difficult."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2550?viewlocale=en_US