[Infowarrior] - If Everyone's Talking, Who Will Listen?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Aug 24 05:09:56 UTC 2008

If Everyone's Talking, Who Will Listen?

By Dusty Horwitt
Sunday, August 24, 2008; B03

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/22/AR2008082202396_pf.html

Everybody jokes about "TMI" these days: "Too much information," we say
laughingly, when someone tells a story full of embarrassing detail
about some personal foible or intimate relationship. But in our
information-overloaded society, the concept of TMI is no joke. The
information avalanche coming from all sides -- the Internet, PDAs,
hundreds of television channels -- is burying us in extraneous data
that prevent important facts and knowledge from reaching a broad
audience.

Lawyers are familiar with this phenomenon. In fact, they use it to
their advantage: They know that if you want to hide damaging
information about a case, there's nothing like a document dump to do
the trick. You make the facts freely available -- along with so much
irrelevant data that no one will ever find them.

But the implications for our democracy are troubling. To achieve their
goals, political movements need to reach and influence tens of
millions of citizens. Despite conventional thinking that the Internet
helps spread information, such reach is actually impossible online.

Consider: In August 2007, there were about 100 million blogs. Of those
that reached 100,000 people or more in a month, only about 20 focused
on news or politics, according to ComScore Media Metrix, a company
that measures Internet traffic. The most popular was Breitbart.com,
with only 1.1 million unique visitors, or 0.4 percent of the 228
million U.S. adults 18 and older.

Moreover, visitors to blogs and Web sites probably don't see most of
the information on them. According to Nielsen Online, the average
visitor to newspaper Web sites stops by for just 1.5 minutes per day
on average. By contrast, the average print newspaper reader spends 40
minutes with each day's edition, according to the Project for
Excellence in Journalism. "When you think about the amount of
information published to the Web, it's a physical impossibility for
the vast majority of that stuff to spread virally," Derek Gordon,
marketing director for the blog-tracking firm Technorati, told me in
2006.

For this article, I got newspaper Internet readership statistics from
the Web site of the Newspaper Association of America (NAA). But if
there hadn't been prior newspaper coverage of the NAA, I might never
have found its site. And if I had simply posted the information
online, few people would have seen it. By contrast, The Washington
Post's print edition reaches about 2 million readers on Sunday, more
than 35 percent of whom are likely to read the editorial page,
according to a Mediamark Research study.

Which highlights the larger problem: The overload siphons audiences
and revenue from newspapers such as The Post and other outlets that
can spread important information, forcing these media to shrink and to
rely increasingly on advertising to stay afloat. These trends predate
the Internet era, but they've gotten worse.

"It's much more difficult [to reach people] today -- and much more
expensive," said Steve Eichenbaum, creative director of a Milwaukee-
based marketing firm that helped engineer Russell Feingold's upset
U.S. Senate victory in 1992. Among Eichenbaum's innovations was an ad
that ran only once in every TV market in Wisconsin -- yet helped
Feingold win the Democratic primary. Eichenbaum doubts that Feingold's
underfunded, underdog victory "could ever happen again."

Although the Internet has helped some candidates raise more money,
media fragmentation has driven up TV advertising costs as candidates
compete for the shrinking number of time slots that can reach voters,
says Ken Goldstein, director of the Wisconsin Advertising Project at
the University of Wisconsin. Moreover, viewers seem more distracted,
and it takes more ads before pollsters can see any effect in tracking
polls, says David Hill, a Houston-based Republican pollster. "The cost
of media is accelerating and the ineffectiveness of media is
accelerating," he said. "I'm getting hit twice."

The opportunity to educate millions of citizens, so essential to
significant movements of the past, has dwindled. In the early New Deal
era, the Roman Catholic "radio priest" Father Charles Coughlin
promoted ideas for economic reform to a weekly audience estimated at
40 million, which helped pressure President Franklin D. Roosevelt to
enact Social Security, the Works Progress Administration and other
programs. Today's top talk-radio host, Rush Limbaugh, reaches only
about 14 million people per week.

Without broad media coverage, the civil rights movement might never
have succeeded. In 1965, front-page newspaper coverage of the bloody
march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala., helped push Congress to pass the
Voting Rights Act, write journalists Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff
in their 2006 Pulitzer Prize-winning book, "The Race Beat." Even the
Fairbanks Alaska News-Miner carried the story on the front page for 10
straight days.

In 1965, weekday newspaper circulation was more than 60 million
copies, or roughly one paper for every two adults. By this year, it
was down to about 50 million, or one paper for every 4.5 adults, and
newspapers are slashing reporting jobs and, inevitably, news coverage.

Other outlets aren't picking up the slack. In 1970-71, Nielsen
reported that 35 percent of households watched the three network news
shows. That figure was down to just 16 percent in 2007-08. In November
1980, ABC, CBS and NBC news broadcasts reached 52.1 million Americans
nightly, or about 32 percent of the adult population. In 2007, ABC,
CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC and Fox combined reached fewer than 30 million
Americans each day, or 12 percent of the adult population.

The challenge is to find ways to strengthen democracy in the era of
TMI. It won't be easy, but the situation may not be irreversible,
either.

Rather than call for government regulation of technology itself,
perhaps the best way to limit the avalanche is to make the
technologies that overproduce information more expensive and less
widespread. It could be done via a progressive energy tax designed to
keep energy prices at a consistently high level (while providing
assistance to lower- and middle-income Americans).

This solution may sound radical and unlikely, but as an environmental
analyst, I've spent long hours studying energy consumption. Two years
ago, I wrote an article speculating that the real problem behind
America's loss of manufacturing jobs was low energy costs that made
shipping so cheap that employers had overwhelming incentive to send
jobs overseas. My argument that higher energy prices could reverse 50
years of outsourcing was met with skepticism. Yet that's exactly what
has begun to happen this year as the high cost of oil has brought some
manufacturing jobs back to such cities as Bowling Green, Ky., and
Danville, Va.

It's not too far-fetched to imagine that something similar could
happen in the information world. Like long-distance shipping, modern
information technologies are highly energy-intensive. According to
Arizona State University engineering professor Eric Williams, a
desktop computer "is probably the most energy-intensive of home
devices, aside from furnaces and boilers." The Internet is built on
about a billion such computers, in addition to data centers that, says
the Wall Street Journal, "can consume enough juice to power a small
city of 30,000."

It's possible that over time, an energy tax, by making some computers,
Web sites, blogs and perhaps cable TV channels too costly to maintain,
could reduce the supply of information. If Americans are finally
giving up SUVs because of high oil prices, might we not eventually do
the same with some information technologies that only seem to fragment
our society, not unite it? A reduced supply of information technology
might at least gradually cause us to gravitate toward community-
centered media such as local newspapers instead of the hyper-
individualistic outlets we have now.

If the thought of more expensive information technologies makes you
flinch, consider economist Alan Blinder's warning that the Internet
could lead to the outsourcing of 40 million American service jobs over
the next 10 to 20 years, including such jobs as financial analysts,
lawyers and computer programmers. So newspapers aren't the only ones
to be hit by cheap information technologies.

Change will no doubt be difficult, and it won't happen overnight. But
it's time for some creative solutions for digging our democracy out of
the information avalanche that threatens to smother it.

dustyhorwitt at yahoo.com

Dusty Horwitt is a lawyer who works for a nonprofit environmental
group in Washington.