[Infowarrior] - JPEG Patent's Single Claim Rejected

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Aug 2 01:27:07 UTC 2008

JPEG Patent's Single Claim Rejected (And Smacked Down For Good Measure)

We've been covering the ongoing saga of an old patent we've referred
to as the "JPEG Patent." This actually isn't the first patent we've
called the JPEG Patent, because multiple people claimed to hold
patents over the technology that goes into a JPEG image. But, this one
was rather special. The patent had been used, repeatedly, by lawyer
Ray Niro, against a wide range of opponents, including a patent system
critic. The end result was a drawn out review process where all of the
original claims were rejected, but a single new claim was added to the
patent, which Niro insisted covered JPEGs on a website.

Earlier this year, the Patent Office agreed to re-examine that claim.
On top of that, a judge overseeing one of the lawsuits involving the
patent decided to put the suit on hold pending the outcome of the re-
exam. Of course, the re-exam will take some time, but the initial re-
exam came out recently and it does not look good for this patent:

< - >

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080731/0337491852.shtml