[Infowarrior] - Google News adds quotations

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 18 02:18:32 UTC 2008

Google News adds quotations
Posted by Elinor Mills | Post a comment

Google is extracting quotations for politicians and celebrities from news
sources and featuring them at the top of the Google News results page for
certain searches.

For instance, a search on "Barack Obama" brings up a quotation by the
Democratic presidential hopeful, and clicking on his name under the quote
takes you to more pages of his quotations. You can then search within just
the quotations from there.

"As part of Google's mission to organize the world's information, we've been
hard at work making quotations in news articles easy to search and browse,"
the Google News blog says. "You can now more easily keep track of what your
favorite politician, actor, or sports star is saying. You can even search
within their quotes for specific topics."

I could find quotations for Obama, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, President
Bush, and Vladimir Putin, but not for Bill Clinton or some major actors. As
for sports stars, this is what Tiger Woods had to say: "I learned my lesson
there with the press. I'm not going to say anything."

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9921773-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&t
ag=2547-1_3-0-20