[Infowarrior] - Professors have access to student financial records

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Apr 9 20:38:08 UTC 2008

Professors have access to student financial records
Wednesday, April 09 2008 @ 12:05 PM EDT
Contributed by: PrivacyNews
News Section: Minors & Students

When Kyle Jepson walked into her playwriting class last year, she expected
the usual syllabus-and-roll-call first day. She did not expect the professor
to announce her unpaid fees to the entire class.

"It was the first day, he was calling roll and when he got to my name he
announced that my fees were unpaid," said Jepson, a junior in theatre. "I
didn't know what to do."

In Ohio State classes, professors can access rosters online through the
university registrar Web site and find out students have unpaid fees.
According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Web site,
there is no specific guideline pertaining to the privacy of a student's
financial records.

< - >

http://www.pogowasright.org/article.php?story=20080409120547201