[Infowarrior] - Cell Phone Signal Map

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Sep 25 01:13:42 UTC 2007

Signal Map <http://www.signalmap.com/>

Have you ever had a cell phone that was a pain to get a signal for? Or,
does your signal go out in the same place all the time? If so, you are
not alone! For the life of me, I cannot get a signal on my cell phone
just over the Ohio/Michigan border, which is where we go all the time to
visit my roommate's dad. Even though it's supposed to be in my covered
area, it never works!

By using this map and other users' input, you can figure out what
provider has the strongest signal in your area. To get started, type in
your address or zip code and choose your carrier. Then press the Find
Signal button. You'll then be whisked away to a map that has bullets on
it of where a signal lies. Each bullet will show how many bars the user
had at that location.

Now that you've been whisked away to the map, if you just choose your
provider, you will only see one color of bullets on the map. If you
select any or click the All tab near the top of the map, you will see
all the signals submitted in that location. If you see a bullet that is
a skull, that means there is a dead zone in that particular area. If you
double click the bullet, you will get the information the user submitted
about that spot.

You can also use the arrows in the top left corner of the map to zoom in
and out and move the map around. Or, you can go over the top right
corner of the map and change the view of it. Your options are: Map,
Satellite or Hybrid.

You can also add your signal to help create a map of signal strength and
usage in your area. It's really easy to do. Just type in your address or
zip code and press the Add Signal button. Then pick up the red marker
and drop it closest to where you live on the map. That will then pop up
a form for you to fill out where you choose your carrier, whether you're
indoors, your signal strength and what type of phone you have.

http://www.signalmap.com/