[Infowarrior] - Blackwater License Being Pulled in Iraq

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Sep 17 12:47:15 UTC 2007

Blackwater License Being Pulled in Iraq

By BASSEM MROUE
The Associated Press
Monday, September 17, 2007; 7:16 AM

BAGHDAD -- The Interior Ministry said Monday that it was pulling the license
of an American security firm allegedly involved in the fatal shooting of
civilians during an attack on a U.S. State Department motorcade in Baghdad.

The ministry said it would prosecute any foreign contractors found to have
used excessive force in the Sunday incident.

Interior Ministry spokesman Abdul-Karim Khalaf said eight people were killed
and 13 were wounded when security contractors working for Blackwater USA
opened fire in a predominantly Sunni neighborhood of western Baghdad.

"We have canceled the license of Blackwater and prevented them from working
all over Iraqi territory. We will also refer those involved to Iraqi
judicial authorities," Khalaf said.

Blackwater, based in North Carolina, provides security for many U.S.
civilian operations in the country. Phone messages left early Monday at
Blackwater's office in North Carolina and with a company spokeswoman were
not immediately returned.

< - >

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/17/AR2007091700
238_pf.html