[Infowarrior] - Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go Public

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Sep 15 18:26:09 UTC 2007

The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go Public
Written by Enigmax & Ernesto on September 15, 2007

When TorrentFreak reported that Media Defender (MD) was behind the video
site MiiVi, they cast doubt on us. Now, in what is surely the biggest
BitTorrent leak ever, nearly 700mb of MD¹s emails have gone public. When
MD¹s Randy Saaf found out we rumbled MiiVi he said, ³This is really fucked.²
This is too, but much more so.

When we reported in July that an Anti-Piracy Gang Launches their own Video
Download Site to Trap People and that the company was called Media Defender
and, as anyone who aims to be a credible news resource would, we checked and
double checked our sources. We said, with some confidence:

Media Defender, a notorious anti piracy gang working for the MPAA, RIAA and
several independent media production companies, just launched their very own
video upload service called ³miivi.com². The sole purpose of the site is to
trap people into uploading copyrighted material, and bust them for doing so.

However, in comments made to Ars technica, Media Defender¹s Randy Saaf chose
to rubbish our claims, calling it an Œaccidentally un-secured internal
project¹.

>From the emails we cannot be sure that it¹s an entrapment site or that it is
related to the MPAA (perhaps it¹s a legit a P2P video client?), but it does
look suspicious.

Unfortunately for Media Defender - a company dedicated to mitigating the
effects of internet leaks - they can do nothing about being the subject of
the biggest BitTorrent leak of all time. Over 700mb of their own internal
emails, dating back over 6 months have been leaked to the internet in what
will be a devastating blow to the company. Many are very recent, having
September 2007 dates and the majority involve the most senior people in the
company. Apparently this is not the first time that a MediaDefender email
leaked onto the Internet.

According to the .nfo file posted with the Mbox file the emails were
obtained by a group called ³MediaDefender-Defenders². It states: ³By
releasing these emails we hope to secure the privacy and personal integrity
of all peer-to-peer users. The emails contains information about the various
tactics and technical solutions for tracking p2p users, and disrupt p2p
services,² and ³A special thanks to Jay Maris, for circumventing there
entire email-security by forwarding all your emails to your gmail account²

< - >

http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefender-emails-leaked-070915/