[Infowarrior] - Few FBI employees will be able to read this

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Oct 25 17:38:40 UTC 2007

Few FBI employees will be able to read this posting

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/10/few-fbi-employe.html

If you're reading this posting via the Internet, chances are you don't work
as a special agent or intelligence analyst at the Federal Bureau of
Investigation.

Willie Hulon, the executive assistant director in charge of the bureau's
national security branch, just told members of the Senate Intelligence
Committee that the vast majority of FBI employees still don't have a
computer on their desk that can be used to access the Internet.

That means no Google searches, no personal e-mail and no blogs like On
Deadline.

So far, Hulon says they've put Internet-ready computers on about a third of
the agency's desks. Another third of the FBI's workforce is due to receive
them within the next year, he says.

"All agents and analysts do not have access at their desktop," Hulon tells
the committee.

"They do have access to the Internet. We have stations within field offices
that people can go to to work at but we don't have access at everyone's
desk," he adds.

Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., later elicited an acknowledgement from Hulon that
the FBI has hired only two of the 24 senior intelligence analysts that it
was first authorized to hire in 2004.