[Infowarrior] - AT&T backpedals, updates internet TOS

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Oct 11 17:38:43 UTC 2007

T&T backpedals, updates internet TOS

http://www.electronista.com/print/48029

AT&T on Thursday clarified its disconcerting internet terms-of-service,
completely reversing its stance with a much more progressive policy that it
says underscores "the company's commitment to freedom of speech and open
dialogue...whether that be via the Internet or elsewhere on the AT&T
network." The world's largest telecom company -- and US largest wireless
carrier -- apologized for the confusion and reiterated it would not
terminate or suspend a customers' Internet access service based upon their
political views or criticism of AT&T. Previously, the company TOS said the
company could terminate service for any behavior it deemed detrimental to
the company or subsidiaries, as noted earlier this month by weblog Gizmodo:

    5.1 Suspension/Termination...AT&T may immediately terminate or suspend
all or a portion of your Service, any Member ID, electronic mail address, IP
address, Universal Resource Locator or domain name used by you, without
notice, for conduct that AT&T believes...(c) tends to damage the name or
reputation of AT&T, or its parents, affiliates and subsidiaries.

AT&T said that its Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy is designed to
protect its customers, the public, and our network, reserving the right to
suspend service for violations of the law, network integrity or security
concerns, falsification of billing or service info, or abusive or
safety-threatening actions.

The new, updated language is designed to step-around the First Amendment's
freedom of speech:

    5.1 Suspension/Termination. AT&T respects freedom of expression and
believes it is a foundation of our free society to express differing points
of view. AT&T will not terminate, disconnect or suspend service because of
the views you or we express on public policy matters, political issues or
political campaigns. However, AT&T may immediately terminate or suspend all
or a portion of your Service, any Member ID, electronic mail address, IP
address, Universal Resource Locator or domain name used by you, without
notice, for conduct that AT&T believes (a) violates the Acceptable Use
Policy; or (b) constitutes a violation of any law, regulation or tariff
(including, without limitation, copyright and intellectual property laws) or
a violation of these TOS, or any applicable policies or guidelines. Your
Service may be suspended or terminated if your payment is past due and such
condition continues un-remedied for thirty (30) days. Termination or
suspension by AT&T of Service also constitutes termination or suspension (as
applicable) of your license to use any Software. AT&T may also terminate or
suspend your Service if you provide false or inaccurate information that is
required for the provision of Service or is necessary to allow AT&T to bill
you for Service.

The revision was a product of bad publicity that circulated on the internet
following the reports of the egregious internet TOS.

"We feel that the clarifying language better reflects our actual long-held
policy, which respects AT&T's customers' rights to freely voice their
opinions and concerns," the company said in a statement. "In addition, we
are in the process of reviewing our entire Terms of Service to ensure it
reflects AT&T's ongoing and unblemished commitment to freedom of expression
as outlined in the language above."