[Infowarrior] - Report: "Trends in Badware 2007" released

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Oct 6 03:29:56 UTC 2007

"Trends in Badware 2007" released

http://blogs.stopbadware.org/articles/2007/10/02/trends-in-badware-2007-rele
ased

StopBadware is proud to release our 2007 update on the state of badware on
the web ­ ³Trends in Badware 2007: What internet users need to know.² The
short report is a plain-English explanation of badware threats to user
privacy and security, based on our research over the past year. It explains
online security issues such as compromised websites, social networking
scams, and other badware trends that pose significant risk to the average
internet user.

For many visitors to StopBadware.org, threats such as legitimate websites
that have been hacked to distribute badware may not be news. We¹re hoping
our security-conscious visitors will help us spread the word to those who
aren¹t yet aware of the dangers. ³Trends in Badware² is written with
nontechnical internet users in mind ­ folks who love using the internet, but
who may not yet have learned about newer badware threats.

As StopBadware¹s co-director John Palfrey says in our press release, ³Now,
users can get infected by simply browsing a reputable website or clicking on
links posted to their favorite blogs or social networks. We want to make
sure that consumers have up-to-date information on emerging trends so they
know what to look for when online.²

StopBadware¹s mission is to help educate consumers and average internet
users about badware, and to help the community fight back. We hope that
³Trends in Badware 2007² can help clear the fog around online dangers and
empower ordinary internet users to take charge of their computers¹ security.

You can download ³Trends in Badware 2007² here.

http://stopbadware.org/pdfs/trends_in_badware_2007.pdf