[Infowarrior] - FT.com Still Doesn't Get It

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Oct 2 11:54:27 UTC 2007

FT.com Still Doesn't Get It
posted on: October 02, 2007 | about stocks: PSO

What on earth are the executives at FT.com thinking? Instead of boldly
following the lead of the NYT and making the site free, they've arrived at a
weird compromise: articles and data will be free to users up to a total of
30 views a month. They will then be asked to subscribe for access to more
material. This is a silly decision, and I'm quite sure that eventually the
whole site will go free. Let's count the reasons why this move makes very
little sense.

< - >

    As with TimesSelect (gone), the paid Wall Street Journal Online (soon to
be gone), and other paid newspaper sites, we think that the FT's
half-measure is not long for this world. Meanwhile, the Financial Times
proper is likely to be increasingly isolated and threatened in a world
dominated by Murdoch/Dow Jones, Thomson/Reuters, and other massive global
financial brands. Owner Pearson (PSO) should sell it to someone that can do
more with it.

The pairing of the WSJ newspaper with the Dow Jones newswire worked out
quite well: I'm sure that Thomson/Reuters would be interested in what they
could do with the FT.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/48698-ft-com-still-doesn-t-get-it?source=fee