[Infowarrior] - The Secret Strategies Behind Many ³ Viral ² Videos

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Nov 25 17:29:21 UTC 2007

The Secret Strategies Behind Many ³Viral² Videos
Dan Ackerman Greenberg

This guest post was written by Dan Ackerman Greenberg, co-founder of viral
video marketing company The Comotion Group and lead TA for the Stanford
Facebook Class. Dan will graduate from the Stanford Management Science &
Engineering Masters program in June.

Have you ever watched a video with 100,000 views on YouTube and thought to
yourself: ³How the hell did that video get so many views?² Chances are
pretty good that this didn¹t happen naturally, but rather that some company
worked hard to make it happen ­ some company like mine.

When most people talk about ³viral videos,² they¹re usually referring to
videos like Miss Teen South Carolina, Smirnoff¹s Tea Partay music video, the
Sony Bravia ads, Soulja Boy - videos that have traveled all around the
internet and been posted on YouTube, MySpace, Google Video, Facebook, Digg,
blogs, etc. - videos with millions and millions of views.

Over the past year, I have run clandestine marketing campaigns meant to
ensure that promotional videos become truly viral, as these examples have
become in the extreme. In this post, I will share some of the techniques I
use to do my job: to get at least 100,000 people to watch my clients¹
³viral² videos.

< - >

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/22/the-secret-strategies-behind-many-viral
-videos/