[Infowarrior] - Apple Secretly Tracking iPhone IMEI and Usage

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Nov 19 17:08:54 UTC 2007

EXCLUSIVE: Apple Secretly Tracking iPhone IMEI and Usage (with proof)

http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12686/

As I sit here applying a new layer of Reynolds tin foil to my international
hat of conspiracy, its been proven that Apple tracks iPhone usage and tracks
IEMI numbers of all their iPhones worldwide. Hidden in the code of the
³Stocks² and ³Weather² widgets is a string that sends the IMEI of your phone
to a specialized URL that Apple collects.

When the widgets perform a query an IMEI is handed off to Apple¹s servers:

dgw?imei=%@&apptype=finance

    This let[s] Apple knows which app you are using when connecting with
your iPhone. Obviously, they know the IP address you were using, the stocks
companies you are interested [in], and so they can track down their
customers all around the world. This also proves that there are probably
other apps that do the same. Weather.app is also acting the same way.
(Offset 13AE0)

Any attempts to modify the URL to exclude the IMEI information will not
allow you to retrieve any information in the ³Stocks² and ³Weather² apps. It
is still unknown if any other applications leak information to Apple HQ.

And did you know you actually consented to this gross invasion of privacy?

    When you interact with Apple, we may collect personal information
relevant to the situation, such as your name, mailing address, phone number,
email address, and contact preferences; your credit card information and
information about the Apple products you own, such as their serial numbers
and date of purchase; and information relating to a support or service
issue.

Obviously ³Weather² is kinda benign, but Apple knowing your Stock habits,
isn¹t that a little personal? What¹s next, they read your email too? Now who
thinks I¹m crazy?