[Infowarrior] - Comment on e-mail footers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Nov 19 01:18:10 UTC 2007

This from an anonymous friend; I agree 100% with his sentiments and will
also add my pet peeve being those 2-paragraph email footers that get quoted
and requoted and nauseum within the same message as part of an email
discussion.  Competent professionals know these footers are meaningless, yet
they continue to be used with reckless abandon. Come to think of it, whoever
said "first kill all the lawyers" might be on to something..........rf

< - from my friend - >

Over the past few days I have received some emails from employees of
Deloitte. These emails have a disclaimer on the bottom, which is pretty
silly to begin with, but the Deloitte disclaimer includes the line "Any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any
action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E. 1]" If I can't take any
action after receiving your message, **why the hell are you writing to me?**
Is Deloitte saying that I'm not allowed to copy your message into my "saved
messages" folder? What if the message was, "Get out! There's a murderer in
the house!" Am I allowed to leave my house? Or does Deloitte require me to
stay put? Can we please, for the love of all things sane, get rid of work
mandated legally toothless email footers?