[Infowarrior] - SANS analyst on e-mail .sigs courtesy

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu May 31 01:52:20 UTC 2007

Joel Esler from SANS posts a great e-mail .sig ettiqute entry this evening,
and it's about time folks began to start talking about this annoying cruft.
I daresay this should be passed along to all Internet users, and especially
(in the case of #10) corporate e-mail administrators and their
generally-clueless counsels who mandate this stuff......bravo, Joel!   -rf

Source:
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=2880&rss

When it comes to email sigs, he reports the following consensus comments:

1. Sigs should be no more than 4 lines

name
Title
company
phone number or web address

2. Quote are okay as long as:

a) It's kept to a minimum
b) it's kept to PERSONAL email only
c) It's does not have a racial or religious theme. (duh?)
d) plain text

3. Plain text
4. Plaxo and LinkedIn are bad.
5. jpg's/gif's/png's are bad. (no HTML!)
6. Apparently in some parts of the .eu, you HAVE to put stuff in your Sig
block like, company name, web site, email, for disclaimer purposes.
http://www.out-law.com/page-431

7. CERTS are okay, but as one reader pointed out, Why tell people what you
don't have?

8. Addresses are to be kept out, if I want your address, I'll ask you for
it. Email addresses should also be kept out, since it's going to be in your
9. The only thing worse than big long Sig blocks is OOOR. (Out of Office