[Infowarrior] - AACS vows to fight people who publish the key

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri May 4 12:06:43 UTC 2007

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

AACS vows to fight people who publish the key

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Michael Ayers, the chairman of the AACS-LA (the organization that sent
hundreds of legal threats to websites that published the random 16-byte
number that represented one of the keys for cracking the copy-prevention on
HD-DVDs) has given an interview to the BBC in which he vows to use technical
and legal means to shut down the 802,000+ websites that have reproduced the
key.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Michael says that this doesn't impact free speech -- that it's possible to
discuss the crack and DRM in general without reproducing the key. I think
he's wrong. I just taught a class at USC where we talked about this crack as
part of our coursework, and part of my lesson was talking about the ease
with which this information can be retrieved and spread -- and how that
makes anti-copying systems futile. For my students, seeing just how little
information was needed to undo the AACS scheme was critical to understanding
its fragility. Indeed, one of my students posted this key to the class blog
to show his fellow students how trivial this was, prompting AACS to threaten
me with legal action as well.

< - >

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/04/aacs_vows_to_fight_p.html

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0