[Infowarrior] - FW: digital resistance

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Mar 14 15:00:31 UTC 2007

By way of CSL.....

Dr Stellan Vinthagen, Senior Lecturer
School of Global Studies
Peace and Development Research Institute Göteborg University Box 700,
SE 405 30 Göteborg, Sweden www.padrigu.gu.se and
www.globalstudies.gu.se

Join the Academic Seminar which will blockade the Faslane nuclear
weapon base, Scotland on 27th June (see www.faslane365.org) (Join the

 The Resistance Studies Network:
 Blogg: www.resistancestudies.org

 Abstract: Understanding "Digital Resistance" (ESA Conference 3-6 Sept
 2007)

 Our paper explore the state of a specific method of resistance: ICT
 based collective resistance ("digital resistance") and in particular
 the maturity and description of  digital resistance. Of particular
 interest to this study is the role of technological infrastructure in
 forming the content and form of acts of resistance.

 While resistance is distinctive as a challenge which might undermine
 power, it is manifold and continually invented and one of its forms
 are, we propose, digital.

 Even though Internet is a new political arena the development of
 movement activity has been fast and impressive. Some interpret this as
 a danger ("cyperterrorism"), others as a promise of a new democratic
 and interactive future.

 There is a need for empirically based analysis enabling us to
 understand the heterogenous expressions of  the "digitalisation" of
 oppositional politics. Some use digital communication as simply a
 faster and more efficient method, others, with great ICT knowledge,
 act more skilled than security firms or anti-terrorist agencies. The
 variation is enormous but the existing empirical knowledge is still
 shallow.

 Our analysis develops a typology which describes forms of resistance,
 enemies, goals and technological strategy among groups. And finally we
 discuss the added possibilities and limititations with digital
 resistance.

 Mathias Klang, Mona Lilja and Stellan Vinthagen