[Infowarrior] - U.S. security scares foreign visitors away

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Mar 12 04:24:11 UTC 2007

U.S. security scares foreign visitors away
Sunday March 11, 10:13 pm ET
By Tim Gaynor
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070311/usa_security_visitors.html?.v=2

GRAND CANYON, Arizona (Reuters) - Maryellen Fleming-Hoffman manages a gift
store on the plunging rim of the Grand Canyon, where visitors come to marvel
at one of the world's greatest attractions.

Business is good, local travel is buoyant, although one thing is different:
foreign visitors to the canyon, like other U.S. tourist attractions, are no
longer coming in the numbers they once did, she says.

"Overall, the number of foreign visitors are down and we'd like to see more
of them," Fleming-Hoffman told Reuters in the Hopi House store, which sells
a selection of American Indian jewelry and other handycrafts.

The store is among travel-related businesses across the United States
feeling a decline in the number of overseas visitors, which have yet to
recover to levels before the September 11 2001 attacks.

According to figures from the Travel Industry Association of America, the
number of travelers to the United States -- not including Canadians and
Mexicans -- has dropped by 17 percent since 2001.

Despite a record year for world tourism last year and a weak dollar against
both the British pound and the euro, the number of visitors from Western
Europe dipped by nearly three percent over the previous year.

The pinch has been felt by businesses from California to the sunshine state
of Florida, which draws tourists with its theme parks and beaches.

According to industry lobbyists and analysts, the chief reason behind the
decline is a convoluted visa process to enter the country and poor
perceptions of treatment by pistol-toting and often stern-faced immigration
officials on arrival.

FAILING TO EXTEND A WELCOME

In a survey conducted by the travel industry lobby group the Discover
America Partnership late last year, the United States' scored more than
twice as badly as the next region, the Middle East, in terms of travel
friendliness.

Two-thirds of respondents worried they could be held back at airports
because of a mistake in form filling or a misstatement to immigration
officials. Half said officials were rude and that they feared them more than
the threat of terrorism or crime.

For many foreign tourists and business travelers, the anxiety surrounding
the entry process makes rival destinations in Europe, Asia and Africa more
attractive to visit than the United States.

"There's other places you can go where you don't get treated badly at
immigration and ports of entry," British visitor Mitchel Lenson told Reuters
as he stood on a wind-swept promontory overlooking the Grand Canyon.

"The assumption (in the United States) is 'you must be a criminal, so we'll
treat you that way,"' he added.

Travel industry sources say the frosty welcome is not just driving tourists
away but also business travelers from overseas, foreign students and even
foreigners seeking medical care in U.S. clinics and hospitals.

Geoff Freeman, the executive director of the Washington-based Discover
America Partnership, says the decline is costing the increasingly
service-led U.S. economy dearly.

"(It) harms our economic security," he told Reuters in a telephone
interview. "As the number of foreign visitors falls we lose billions of
dollars in spending, billions in tax revenues and hundreds of thousands of
jobs," he added.

LURING BACK VISITORS

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill are expected to present a bill this year drawing
on the Discover America Partnership's "Blueprint to Discover America"
report, which was crafted with input from Tom Ridge, the first U.S. homeland
security chief.

Among proposals are contracting more staff at U.S. consulates overseas to
bring down wait times for travel visas to 30 days -- from the current levels
of up to three months in some countries -- and sending in trouble-shooting
"rapid response" teams to tackle backlogs.

It also proposes extending the visa waiver rights currently held by 27
countries worldwide to other nations to allow more visitors to bypass the
strained visa system.

Back in the United States, proposals include hiring 250 more Customs and
Border Protection agents to work in busy airport arrival halls, and in
consulting theme park operator Disney for tips on line management.

Tourist authorities say other countries use more state funds to lure foreign
visitors, and they would also like to see higher government spending to woo
foreign visitors back to the United States,

"The welcome from the U.S. government just hasn't been there," said Vanessa
Welter, communications director for state tourism agency Visit Florida.

"We want to ensure our borders are safe but we also want ensure that people
know we want them to come here ... with the exchange rate, we're on sale
right now!"

(additional reporting by Barbara Liston in Orlando)