[Infowarrior] - Gonzales Pushes Again for Increased ISP Data Retention

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Jun 28 12:39:43 UTC 2007

Gonzales Pushes Again for Increased ISP Data Retention
By Luke O'Brien EmailJune 27, 2007 | 2:11:05 PMCategories: Crime,
Identification, Privacy

Agonzales U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales last week reiterated his
desire for increased ISP data retention to help combat crime. In a speech to
the National Association of Attorneys General summer meeting in Atlanta,
Gonzales gave his audience a graphic, stomach-turning look into the world of
online pedophilia. He described a visit he made to to the Justice
Department's child exploitation and obscenity section and some of the images
and online videos he'd seen. "It changed me," Gonzales said. "It was an
orientation I will never forget."

Then he argued that not enough is being done to combat child exploitation
and that law enforcement tools need to be bolstered, particularly by
increasing data retention.

    "We have heard time and time again from state and local investigators
and prosecutors that investigations of these crimes would be greatly aided
by increased data retention by Internet Service Providers. That¹s why I
asked a working group within the Department to look at this issue, and we're
working hard on ways to remedy this problem. I appreciate your support on
the issue of data retention; I hope we can continue to make significant
strides in investigative practices in the future."

The full text of Gonzales speech is here (Warning: the pedophilia section is
disturbing).

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/06/gonzales-pushes.html