[Infowarrior] - Anonymizer cancels web service

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Jul 22 19:53:47 UTC 2007

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/07/anonymizer-web-.html

Anonymizer Web-Based Service Bites The Dust
By Scott Gilbertson EmailJuly 20, 2007

Anonymizer Without fanfare or explanation long-time anonymous browsing
service Anonymizer has discontinued the web-based and toolbar versions of
its "Private Surfing." The desktop version of Anonymizer is still available,
but there are already several other desktop packages that do the same thing
and cost less ‹Tor comes to mind‹ what made Anonymizer unique was the
web-based component.

Even worse for Mac, Windows Vista and Linux users, the desktop version of
Anonymizer is only available for Windows 2000 and XP.

Though I haven't actually used Anonymizer in years (I gave up basically),
I'll credit the site and its re-routing web-service with introducing me to
the concept of anonymous web browsing and why it's necessary.