[Infowarrior] - Meet the iPhone hackers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jul 11 11:59:04 UTC 2007

Weekly Column | 2007.07.11
Meet the iPhone hackers

http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2007/07/11/iphone_hackers/

The coding geniuses who are taking apart Apple's hot device say they're
within a few days of making it work with cell networks beyond AT&T.

By Farhad Manjoo

machinistWhen Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, unveiled the iPhone, he promised it
would put "the Internet in your pocket for the first time ever." So a few
days after purchasing this wonder, I was walking around town when I had a
delightful epiphany: Hey, now that I've got the Internet in my pocket, I can
listen to a live stream of NPR anytime I want! (I'm a fellow of milquetoast
impulses.) A quarter-second later the truth hit me. Of course I can't get
NPR on my iPhone; it lacks the necessary software. I also can't watch Comedy
Central's online videos, nor buy a song from iTunes, nor place a Skype call.
Jobs is right; the iPhone is the Internet in your pocket, and at times,
having it there feels marvelous. But often the device is a tease: Because
Apple and AT&T have locked it down, the iPhone gives you the Internet of
1996, not of 2007. You can look but you can't watch, listen, download or
play.

In my first review of the iPhone, which I wrote just hours after laying my
hands on the thing, I fingered the lockdown as my biggest complaint. Now, a
week and a half later, my feelings haven't changed. What has changed is the
context. Quickly and assuredly, a distributed crew of determined hackers is
breaking down the iPhone's walls. They have managed, so far, to use the
iPhone's iPod and Wi-Fi Internet functions without first signing up to AT&T,
and they've also accessed the phone's "file system" -- letting them add ring
tones and wallpaper, and play with the phone's menu bar.

Over the past few days, I've been talking to several of these hackers. They
report amazing progress at freeing the iPhone -- what they call escaping the
iPhone jail. They say they're about to release a programming "toolchain"
that will push them toward their primary goal in a matter of weeks, if not
days. That first goal: to unlock the iPhone from AT&T, allowing people to
use all of its functions on any compatible cell network in the world.

"We're quite close," says GJ, who called me up after I posted a notice on
Hackintosh looking to talk to some of the coders who are cracking open the
iPhone. Like all the others I spoke to, he wouldn't give me his full name
nor much real-world identifying information, but he was quite willing to
discuss the group's iPhone hacking efforts. "The phone has got to
communicate with the cellular network somehow, and we've found that the
radio hardware in the iPhone is actually quite common in the industry," GJ
says. "So we know how to get the radio to talk to the cell tower. What we
don't understand is how to interact with the radio from the iPhone and to
unlock it. But we're quite close." The hack, he says, will most likely work
through software -- you'll download a file, patch your iPhone while it's
connected to your computer, and then, like that, you'll be able to use it
with another network.

GJ and others believe that unlocking the phone from AT&T is a first step
toward unlocking it generally -- that is, toward making it a platform for
which developers across the world, rather than just the developers at Apple,
can build useful applications. The iPhone uses a cellular system known as
GSM; in the U.S., T-Mobile is the only other big network that can carry its
signals. (Verizon and Sprint use an incompatible cell standard called CDMA.)

But GSM is the most popular wireless standard in the world, and hackers
predict that if they unlock the iPhone, early adopters in Europe and Asia --
where the phone has not yet been released -- would flock to purchase it. And
then they too would begin to tinker with it. "By unlocking the platform we
are essentially opening the flood gates and 'letting it all in,'" a hacker
named Jorge told me in an e-mail message. Conceivably, one of these people
could figure out a way to write programs for the phone -- and perhaps, then,
to let me stream "All Things Considered."

Several loosely affiliated groups are now working to decouple the phone from
AT&T. I've been following the largest and most promising of these, the crew
that congregates on #iPhone, a chat room that you can get to using the
Internet Relay Chat system on the server irc.osx86.hu. At any given time,
about 400 people are on the channel, but only about 30 are working full-time
on the hack. They're a diverse bunch, spread throughout the U.S. and Europe
and bringing various flavors of expertise -- in coding, in cell system
design, in old-fashioned operating-system breaking and entering -- to the
effort. They're working more or less nonstop, digging, like miners in an
unchartered hole, at all of the iPhone's hidden caves, in search of a rich
vein.

It's a tedious process, one that sometimes leads down dead ends. Over the
weekend an American teenager who goes by the handle geohot stayed up all
night soldering the connections on his iPhone dock in order to create a
direct, "serial interface" to the phone.

He succeeded. By the morning, in what seemed like a major breakthrough, he
had found a way to issue commands to a key part of the system known as the
bootloader. Some in the team thought they'd reached the holy grail; all
they'd have to do was issue the correct commands to the iPhone's radio and
it would be free. But that didn't work. Many of the commands that the
hackers sent to the bootloader came back with "permission denied" errors.
Apple, they found, had protected the bootloader cryptographically, meaning
that to do anything useful with it, they needed Apple's secret password.
They had to find another way.

Since then the hackers have been looking to build a toolchain, a programming
interface to work with the iPhone's file format (called Mach-O) and
processor type (known as ARM). This has been a difficult coding task, one
that only a handful of them know how to do -- but today they told me that
they're very nearly done with it. And once they have that, unlocking the
phone could be around the corner.

Hurdles, though, may persist. Even if the hackers manage to break the phone
free from AT&T, getting it to run non-Apple-approved programs may be much
more difficult. The hackers don't have the programming tools that Apple
does, and, moreover, it's unclear if they can get around Apple's
cryptographic locks on the phone.

They've also faced the problem of defectors: "A couple people have jumped
ship and see the possibility of making a profit," Jorge told me. One member
of the group managed to build customized ring tones into the iPhone three
days ago, he said, "but this person held out on us thinking he was going to
be able to sell a service."

A more serious threat may come from AT&T and Apple. If hackers unlock the
iPhone tomorrow, Apple could lock it back up next week, and then the group
might have to start all over again. They could also, of course, face legal
threats. I asked Apple and AT&T if people who hacked their iPhones were
breaking any rules. Apple did not respond; AT&T did.

"The iPhone explicitly requires customers to sign up with AT&T when they buy
the device," Susan McCain, a spokeswoman, told me in an e-mail. Anyone who
buys the iPhone and doesn't use AT&T is engaging in an "illegitimate use" of
the phone, another AT&T representative, Mark Siegel, told the Wall Street
Journal.

Though this certainly makes economic sense -- AT&T has a lot riding on
iPhone exclusivity -- it seems a crazy policy for Apple to have signed on
to. "I look at it and I'm like, Guys, what were you thinking?" GJ says.
"We're in an age where people want to be able to build our own technology.
We're becoming a culture of experimenters. And I think it's a little
unfortunate that companies have decided to take this stand against us."