[Infowarrior] - TN requires ALL beer buyers to show ID

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Jul 1 13:11:53 UTC 2007

Tennessee Requires Stores to Check ID Card Of Anyone Buying Beer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/30/AR2007063000
790_pf.html

By Lucas L. Johnson II
Associated Press
Sunday, July 1, 2007; A07

NASHVILLE, June 30 -- Comer Wilson hasn't had to show his ID to buy beer in
a while. Maybe it's the 66-year-old man's long, white beard.

Starting Sunday, gray hair won't be good enough. Wilson and everyone else
will be required to show identification before buying beer in Tennessee
stores -- no matter how old the buyer appears.

"It's the stupidest law I ever heard of," Wilson said. "You can see I'm over
21."

Tennessee is the first state to make universal carding mandatory, the
National Alcohol Beverage Control Association said. However, the law does
not apply to beer sales in bars and restaurants, and it does not cover wine
and liquor.

Supporters say it keeps grocery store and convenience store clerks from
having to guess a customer's age. Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen said it's a
good way to address the problems of underage drinking.

And the 63-year-old governor said he won't mind the extra effort to buy
beer.

"I'll be very pleased when I'm carded, and, in my mind, I'll just imagine
it's because I look so young," he said.

Rich Foge, executive director of the Tennessee Malt Beverage Association,
said he expects there might be initial resistance from the beer-buying
public. "But once people live with it for a month or two, it's going to go
fine," he said. "It gets routine after a while."

Jarron Springer, president of the Tennessee Grocers and Convenience Store
Association, said he understands the law "may seem a little odd" to people
who are obviously older than 21, but he said it's necessary.

"If we're going to hold clerks accountable for their actions, then there's
no room for discretion," he said. "It's either all or nothing."

The blanket requirement makes it easier for stores to comply, said Steve
Schmidt, spokesman for the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association.

"There's no need to judge whether someone looks 21, 25 or 30," he said.
"It's a set, consistent standard across the entire state."

Richard Rollins, who owns a convenience store in Nashville, is already using
a computerized scanner to check everyone's driver's licenses when they buy
beer. "We just say we're trying to keep our beer permit, and this is the
safest way," Rollins said.

But it has stopped Jeff Campbell, 43, from shopping at Rollins's market.

"I don't mind them asking for my ID, but they don't need my driver's license
number," Campbell said. "I'm just buying a six-pack. All they need to know
is how old I am."

Rollins said scanning licenses has proved beneficial in other ways, such as
catching criminals.

When one customer tried to make a purchase using a counterfeit bill, Rollins
said, police were able to track him down because the receipt from the
scanner showed his name and license number -- and his address.

The law, which expires after a year unless the Legislature decides to renew
it, also creates a voluntary training program for vendors and their
employees. Participating businesses would face lower fines if found guilty
of selling beer to a minor, and their beer permits cannot be revoked on a
first offense.

However, they face maximum fines of $1,000 for each underage sale, and they
lose their status if they commit two violations in a 12-month period.
Another violation could mean suspension or revocation of a license, and a
maximum fine of $2,500.

Noncertified vendors can face those penalties on a first offense.

Marylee Booth, executive director of the Tennessee Oil Marketers
Association, which represents gas stations and convenience stores, said the
intention is not to hurt vendors but to help them protect minors.