[Infowarrior] - MJR: The Vulnerability Disclosure Game: Are We More Secure?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Jan 11 22:11:54 EST 2007

Web Exclusives
The Vulnerability Disclosure Game: Are We More Secure?

http://www2.csoonline.com/exclusives/column.html?CID=28072

Can we speak frankly about "vulnerability disclosure" now? More than a
decade into the process, can anyone say security has improved?

By Marcus J. Ranum

Can we speak frankly about "vulnerability disclosure" now? Can we, please?
It¹s long past time. More than a decade into the process, can anyone say
security has improved?

Back in the mid-1990s, when the vulnerability disclosure economy was
starting to take shape, I was one of a small handful of security
practitioners who was trying hard to apply the brakes against what we saw as
a dangerous trend. Unfortunately, at that time, the security industry was
not yet mature enough for customers to understand that they were being sold
a dangerous bill of goods. For longer than a decade, we¹ve lived under the
mob rule, where for some security consultants and companies, "marketing" has
been replaced by "splashily announcing holes in commercial products to get
20 seconds of fame on CNN." What¹s amazing about the disclosure game is not
that it¹s been tolerated for so long, but that it worked at all. (See
Schneier: Full Disclosure of Security Vulnerabilities a ¹Damned Good Idea¹.)

Do you remember the original premise of the disclosure game? By publicly
announcing vulnerabilities in products we will force the vendors to be more
responsive in fixing them, and security will be better. Remember that one?
Tell me, dear reader, after 10 years of flash-alerts, rushed patch cycles
and zero-day attacks, do you think security has gotten better? (See
Microsoft: Responsible Vulnerability Disclosure Protects Users.)

I think there are a few places where we can see signs of improvement. I know
that Microsoft, Oracle and others have spent huge amounts of money improving
the security of their software. Never mind the fact that 99.99 percent of
the computer users in the world would rather they had spent that money
making their software cheaper or faster, I suppose it¹s a great thing to see
that software security is being taken seriously. Security has gotten more
expensive. But do you think security has gotten better?

>From where I sit, it looks like the vulnerability rate is pretty much a
constant. If the proponents of disclosure were right, their stated
objective‹browbeating the vendors into making their products better‹would
have been accomplished years ago. But we¹re speaking frankly, here, aren¹t
we? So, as one adult to another, let me tell you why it won¹t work: because
it was never about making software better. In fact, it was never about
making your security better. That¹s right. Now that we can look back at 10
years of what disclosure has brought us, it¹s brought usŠwell, nothing much.
Nothing much, that is, except a grey-market economy in exploits, where
independent "vulnerability researchers" attempt to cash in by finding new
attacks that they can sell to security companies or spyware
manufacturers‹whichever bids higher. Nothing much unless you count the
massive amounts of "free" marketing exposure for companies that trade in
exploits. The sad part about it all is that they¹ve managed to convince you
they¹re doing you a favor. It looks like a pretty expensive-looking "favor"
to me!

Back when the Internet security bubble started, I offered a litmus test for
practitioners. Simply put: You¹re either part of the solution, or you¹re
part of the problem. You¹re writing the next firewall or secure application
or working to improve some site¹s security. Or you¹re part of the problem:
You¹re looking for the next hole in Oracle that¹ll get you two minutes on
CNN, or you¹re getting ready to announce a clever new way rootkits can evade
detection from security tools, or you¹re devising the next denial-of-service
attack, etc. The state of ethics in the computer security industry is
pathetic; it¹s on par with where medicine was in the 1820s‹except that some
of the snake-oil salesmen in the 1820s actually believed in their products.

At this point in the history of security, the disclosure economy has been in
place long enough that some of the new entrants to the field think that¹s
the way it¹s always been‹I¹ve run into second-generation "true believers"
who really think vulnerability disclosure is all about making software
better. Guys, I think it¹s time to hang up that ideology; it¹s obviously not
true. If it was going to help, it would have showed some signs of helping by
now. So let¹s be frank, shall we? Those of you who are playing the
disclosure game are just playing for your two minutes of fame: You¹re not
making software better. Sure, some of you work for consultancies and
startups, and it saves you a ton of money by not having to have a marketing
budget, but isn¹t shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater soŠum, ¹90s? I know
that the typical security customer is (to you) an unsophisticated rube, but
that does not justify you placing them at increased risk just so you can
publish a new signature for your pen-testing tool or get your funny-haired
"chief hacking officer" on CNN one more time. I have news for you: Most of
the computer users on the planet wish you¹d find some other use for your
talents‹something that actually does help.

Computer security needs to grow the hell up, and needs to do it pretty
quickly. It seems that virtually every aspect of life is becoming
increasingly computerized and exposed to online attack. The problem is
getting more significant the longer we wait to deal with it, but the early
history of computer security has been a massive disappointment to all of us:
huge amounts of money spent with relatively little improvement to show for
it. One of the reasons is that a huge amount of that effort has been wasted,
barking up the wrong tree. Unfortunately, if you look at the last 10 years
of security, it¹s a litany of "one step forward, one step back," thanks in
part to the vulnerability pimps, parasites and snake-oil salesmen who
flocked into the industry when they smelled money and a chance to get some
attention. At this point, they¹re so deeply entrenched and vested that
they¹re here to stay, unless the industry as a whole turns away from
rewarding bad behavior. If you¹re a customer or end user, you can see how
well disclosure worked to improve your security over the last decade. Let me
be frank: It¹s up to you.

Marcus Ranum, CSO of Tenable Network Security, is internationally recognized
as one of computer security¹s visionary thinkers. Since his early
involvement with security in the late 1980s he has been involved in every
stage of the security industry, from coding the first commercial firewall
(DEC SEAL) to acting as founder and CEO of one of the early IDS innovators
(NFR). He lives in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania.