[Infowarrior] - Macrovision responds to Steve Jobs DRM note

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Feb 16 10:22:31 EST 2007

( *wipes coffee from keyboard * )

http://macrovision.com/company/news/drm/response_letter.shtml

To Steve Jobs and the Digital Entertainment Industry:

I would like to start by thanking Steve Jobs for offering his provocative
perspective on the role of digital rights management (DRM) in the electronic
content marketplace and for bringing to the forefront an issue of great
importance to both the industry and consumers. Macrovision has been in the
content protection industry for more than 20 years, working closely with
content owners of many types, including the major Hollywood studios, to help
navigate the transition from physical to digital distribution. We have been
involved with and have supported both prevention technologies and DRM that
are on literally billions of copies of music, movies, games, software and
other content forms, as well as hundreds of millions of devices across the
world.

There are four key points that I would like to make in response to your
letter.

    * DRM is broader than just music ­
      While your thoughts are seemingly directed solely to the music
industry, the fact is that DRM also has a broad impact across many different
forms of content and across many media devices. Therefore, the discussion
should not be limited to just music. It is critical that as all forms of
content move from physical to electronic there is an opportunity for DRM to
be an important enabler across all content, including movies, games and
software, as well as music.

    * DRM increases not decreases consumer value ­
      I believe that most piracy occurs because the technology available
today has not yet been widely deployed to make DRM-protected legitimate
content as easily accessible and convenient as unprotected illegitimate
content is to consumers. The solution is to accelerate the deployment of
convenient DRM-protected distribution channels‹not to abandon them. Without
a reasonable, consistent and transparent DRM we will only delay consumers in
receiving premium content in the home, in the way they want it. For example,
DRM is uniquely suitable for metering usage rights, so that consumers who
don't want to own content, such as a movie, can "rent" it. Similarly,
consumers who want to consume content on only a single device can pay less
than those who want to use it across all of their entertainment areas ­
vacation homes, cars, different devices and remotely. Abandoning DRM now
will unnecessarily doom all consumers to a "one size fits all" situation
that will increase costs for many of them.

    * DRM will increase electronic distribution ­
      Well maintained and reasonably implemented DRM will increase the
electronic distribution of content, not decrease it. In this sense, DRM is
an important ingredient in the overall success of the emerging digital world
and especially cannot be overlooked for content creators and owners in the
video industry. Quite simply, if the owners of high-value video
entertainment are asked to enter, or stay in a digital world that is free of
DRM, without protection for their content, then there will be no reason for
them to enter, or to stay if they've already entered. The risk will be too
great.

    * DRM needs to be interoperable and open ­
      I agree with you that there are difficult challenges associated with
maintaining the controls of an interoperable DRM system, but it should not
stop the industry from pursuing it as a goal. Truly interoperable DRM will
hasten the shift to the electronic distribution of content and make it
easier for consumers to manage and share content in the home ­ and it will
enable it in an open environment where their content is portable across a
number of devices, not held hostage to just one company's products. DRM
supporting open environments will benefit consumer electronics manufacturers
by encouraging and enabling them to create ever more innovative and
sophisticated devices for consumers that play late running premium content
from a number of sources.

As an industry, we can overcome the DRM challenges. A commitment to
transparent, interoperable and reasonable DRM will effectively bridge the
gap between consumers and content owners, eliminate confusion and make it
possible for new releases and premium content to enter the digital
environment and kick off a new era of entertainment.

At Macrovision we are willing to lead this industry effort. We offer to
assist Apple in the issues and problems with DRM that you state in your
letter. Should you desire, we would also assume responsibility for FairPlay
as a part of our evolving DRM offering and enable it to interoperate across
other DRMs, thus increasing consumer choice and driving commonality across
devices.

In summary, we are on the verge of a transformation in home entertainment
that can be as significant as the introduction of the PC into the home or
the invention of the television. Already, consumer equipment manufacturers
are introducing advancements in wireless connectivity and the
interoperability of devices that are opening the door to new ways for
consumers to acquire and view content from many sources.

With such an enjoyable and revolutionary experience within our grasp, we
should not minimize the role that DRM can and should play in enabling the
transition to electronic content distribution. Without reasonable,
consistent and transparent DRM we will only delay the availability of
premium content in the home. As an industry, we should not let that happen.

Thank you,
Fred Amoroso
CEO & President
Macrovision Corporation