[Infowarrior] - DRM in the BitTorrent and Broadband Age

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Feb 1 09:04:31 EST 2007

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/drm_editorial/

        DRM in the BitTorrent and Broadband Age
January 31, 2007 Alan /.effect Dang

handled by the industry has not been so good.

Introduction

Digital Rights Management is a good thing. The problem is that the way
digital rights management has been handled by the industry has not been so
good. We have copy protection software that act just like malicious viruses
and rootkits.

Defining the Problem

The industry needs to recognize that it'll be impossible to stop piracy. The
more complex, innovative, or intricate the content protection system, the
more interest and zeal crackers will have in subverting such protection. If
the US was unable to keep nuclear weapons technology secret after WW2, there
is no way the MPAA can ask consumer electronics companies to keep movies and
music 100% secure, especially when the whole intent of music/movies is to be
seen and heard.

The industry needs to recognize that most people are reasonable. The US
gaming industry is over $10 billion dollars. The home video market is over
$24 billion dollars. If everyone was a pirate, shouldn't that be zero?
Flawed logic, I know, but these are still thriving industries despite the
fact that "most games" and "most movies" really just aren't special to begin
with. What's changed is how we choose to experience our media. We want
movies that can be enjoyed in our home theater, airplane, or portable music
player. We want security where a hard drive crash or malicious virus doesn¹t
mean that we¹ve lost the digital content we've purchased with our
hard-earned money. If our hardware is capable of enhancing the original
content such as upsampling beyond 1080p, then let the consumer do so.

The industry needs to recognize that most people are... human. We may tell a
store clerk they've given us to much change back, but our hunter-gathering
DNA makes us look for bargains. Who among us hasn't jumped at a chance to
stack multiple coupons or shopped at a clearance or special limited
quantities sale? The promise of "free" movies and music is one that is hard
to give up. When the CEO of Time Warner admits that his kids illegally
downloaded music off the Internet too, it should show the industry that
software piracy isn't something limited to l33t hax0rs. That doesn't mean
everyone jumps at the opportunity of a five-finger discount at your local
Best Buy though.

People are reasonable. The difference is that intuitively, stealing a
physical item from a store is fundamentally different from copying bits in
which the opportunity cost to the manufacturer is zero.

The Fundamental Issue

The general public just doesn't appreciate the true value of intellectual
property. You can list off a ton of famous actors and directors, but how
many famous screenwriters (who aren't directors or actors) can you name?

The HDCP Vision

The problem with DRM is that it hasn't been done correctly to date. Every
implementation of DRM has only hurt honest users. More frustrating is that
HDCP should have been the first to prove that DRM could be done in a
reasonable manner.

The original idea of HDCP was to stop casual copying of high-definition
uncompressed digital video. Since the decryption/encryption had to be done
in real-time, the goal was to make the algorithm simple. The fact that HDCP
has been demonstrated by computer science researchers to be easily
compromised provided that a handful of keys are leaked isn¹t an issue.
However, HDCP itself remains secure because its security is tied into
licensing.

You can't buy the HDCP keys unless you agree not to use it in a recording
device. The keys themselves are located in hardware, making it more
difficult for casual users to crack. Movie studios were saying "we won't
release digital HD content unless you electronics manufacturers guarantee
that you won't build digital recording devices." The crypto ROMs, etc. were
just ways to make this gentlemen's agreement formal.

In exchange for this gentlemen's agreement, enforced by relatively low-cost
crypto ROMs, consumers should have been able to transparently enjoy HD
content. Yes, early adopters of televisions would have to buy new TVs, but
with HDCP, "advance warning" was available. Figuring out how to transcode
content to portable players or other formats (i.e. a desktop PC or media
server) would have been something to be addressed in the future (ultimately
resulting in AACS and BD+). Remember, HDCP was simply intended to limit the
creation of a high-definition VCR capable of recording ³protected² content.

What ended up happening was that the graphics board manufacturers betrayed
our trust, HDCP handshake protocols have been poorly implemented, and HDCP
ended up being far from that ³seamless² integration.

"Perfect DRM" already exists today. Perfect from both the perspective of
consumers and the industry.

Perfect DRM

It's called the printed book. As big as the video game industry is, the book
industry is bigger. Last year, Barnes & Nobles, Borders, and Amazon pulled
in $11.5 billion in terms of book sales (this isn't including sales of
coffee or non-book items in these stores). Add in the sales of Wal-Mart,
Target, and local independent retailers and you'll have to agree that it's
still a big market even in today¹s age.

Go to any Barnes and Nobles and you'll see a ton of people reading for free.
Someone might walk into a B&N, pick up a magazine and read it cover to
cover, or even pick up a self-help book, and read it while taking notes on a
separate sheet of paper. Sometimes, you might actually buy a book when you
want to enjoy re-reading the material at home, or if you want it as part of
your collection. Books are cheap. Hardcover books are more expensive than
paperbacks; and art books may be the most expensive of them all but the
print quality and binding makes it all worth it.

Casual copying is possible but not easy. There's nothing stopping me from
photocopying a whole book cover-to-cover, but very few of us have stacks
upon stacks of copied books. It's too inconvenient to copy something when
it's cheap enough to buy. Likewise, everyone has taken a class or two where
the professor hands out a photocopied textbook chapter, recognizing that
students are unlikely to find value from the rest of the textbook or beyond
the term.

If a book publisher thought like the movie industry and wanted to prevent
casual copying of a book, they would have made every page black text on a
red background. It'd be so hard to read and intrusive that no one would ever
buy a book again.

Finally, all of us can name plenty of famous authors. We recognize the
effort and time an author has put into his work and may purchase a book in
order to support an author in the hopes of seeing a sequel, even if only in
theme.

The Difference Between Books and Movies

That's the predicament of digital music and digital video right now.
Unprotected content over large BitTorrent networks is akin to having a Star
Trek replicator. In order to have a DRM model that parallels the book model,
you have to make copying music and movies as tough as photocopying a book.

Hollywood studios shouldn't panic about sites like YouTube or even the
torrent sites. I can see the problems with leaked prerelease copies of shows
like 24, but after a show has been broadcast, it¹s hard to make a reasonable
common-man standard against sharing of the recording. You can already get
the full book experience for free, and it doesn't stop people from buying
books to support their favorite authors.

The next step is appropriate pricing. There's something wrong when a
soundtrack CD costs almost as much as the entire movie on DVD. In countries
like China, where pirated CDs can be bought by the pound, Hollywood has
tried releasing lower-priced DVD movies with good success. Again, most
people are reasonable. Just look at iTunes when it comes to music. DVD
movies and DVD television shows continue to have good sales thanks to bonus
features like behind the scenes footage, or commentaries. Many people
without a HDTV prefer DVDs for the 16:9 widescreen experience. As long as
there is added value (think hardcover book) or convenience, physical media
will continue to thrive.

The biggest hurdle will be promoting authorship. In books it's easy. In the
movies, it's hard to get people excited about buying a DVD or Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
to support the actor who already makes $20M a movie, or the director who's
first in line for that latest supercar. People never hear about the
screenwriters who may only get $100K for the first draft of their screenplay
and another $30K for their second draft. Since a screenplay can take several
years of work, many writers are making less than minimum wage. I challenge
you to name ten successful screenwriters. Do you know who Terry Rossio and
Ted Elliot are? What about Felix Chong and Siu Fai Mak? David Koepp?

Promoting the screenwriter also serves an additional purpose. Right now,
it's easy to see the actor's work and even the director's work. It's
tangible and direct. What's often lost is the contribution of the
screenwriter. I'm not talking about the dialogue (ultimately only a minor
element in the grand scheme of things) but in terms of the story, character,
and theme. These are purely concepts of intellectual property.

Until Hollywood can turn screenwriters into celebrities too, they'll never
be able to convince the public to buy movies even if they can enjoy it for
free in the same way the public buys books even after reading it for free.

The solution to movie piracy isn't fancier and more complex copy protection,
it is bringing screenwriters, the creators of Hollywood's most
conceptually-pure intellectual property, to the center stage. Only when
Hollywood recognizes the value of pure intellectual property will consumers
also recognize the true value of intellectual property and support their
favorite screenwriter.

Why I'm hopeful

In some ways, the HD ecosystem is going to buy time to help DRM reach that
magic steady state that we enjoy with books. With HD movies requiring huge
amounts of space, there's already a barrier to casual copying if only for
HDD space issues. The HD-DVD rips that have been unleashed onto the Internet
still represents gigabytes and gigabytes of storage. As bandwidth and HDD
space increases, technologies such as BD+ potentially will maintain
sufficient copy protection to prevent casual copying while still ensuring
that the optical disc is a) not counterfeit and b) can be used for managed
copy (allowing you to transcode the content to portable players).
Potentially being the key phrase ­ the industry has had rough enough start
with HDCP.

People buy more DVDs than music CDs because they see it as a better value.
Fortunately, HD content remains aggressively priced. Although Blu-Ray and
HD-DVD products are more expensive than DVD products, prices will see more
parity as production ramps up and more consumers transition to HD. DVD
players launched at $1000 (FiringSquad¹s retired Editor-in-Chief Kenn Hwang
spent that much on his Sony DVP-S7000) and by 2009 there will be no more
analog TV in the United States.

I'm even hopeful about Hollywood increasing the visibility of screenwriters
in the industry. As movies like Fight Club and TV shows like 24 and Heroes
continue to push the envelope of storytelling and captivate an increasingly
sophisticated audience, writers are increasingly forced to write more
sophisticated movies. A screenplay from a 1990's Van Damme movie wouldn't
fly today. Would any movie which uses "it was just a dream" as a plot device
work today? Only if it's told like A Beautiful Mind. The elite group of
screenwriters who are capable of writing such movies is relatively small,
and that is good news because it means Hollywood only needs to spend a lot
of money on a few number of people. So if anyone you know is a creative
executive at a studio, debate with them why stories like Thank You For
Smoking, Good Will Hunting, Napoleon Dynamite, Pirates of the Caribbean,
Finding Nemo or God forbid, Titanic were more successful than Stealth, Lady
in the Water, Basic Instinct 2, Poseidon, and Flushed Away...

© Copyright 2003 FS Media, Inc.