[Infowarrior] - More Comcastic Greed

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Dec 27 01:04:28 UTC 2007

In the mail today I received a nice marketing slick from Comcast that told
me aaaaalllllllll about the great things they've done over the past year to
"bring me the highest quality service".   Which of course set off alarm
bells in my head, because when I see a utility show itself off in a slick
four-color publication that ain't the firm's Annual Report To Shareholders,
it's a sure sign that it's time for our annual price-raping.   Sure
enough.....and this year, by percentage, it's unbelievable:

A 4% increase in Digital Cable service (no premium channels)
A 16% increase in Comcast-branded DVR monthly fee
....and it looks like roughly 10-16% increases for most premium or specialty
channels as well as their other TV bundles.  The only packages that didn't
see a rate increase were their cable internet packages -- which I don't use
anyway.  But generally increases across the board, just like last year.  And
the year before. Etc, etc, etc.

My 2008 new years vow is to dump my Comcast DVR and go with Tivo or another
solution just on principle alone.  Since I have no access to FIOS and my
building isn't able to get satellite, there's I can't do much about my cable
rate short of raise hell with Arlington County or cancel the service.....but
I'll dump as many of Comcast's services as I can, and be sure to tell the
world about it, too.

Even if their service didn't suck, these people have no shame.   Comcastic,
hardly.   Comcraptic definitely.

-rf