[Infowarrior] - Questions We Thought, But Didn ¹ t Ask, in 2007

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Dec 25 00:23:45 UTC 2007

 December 24, 2007,  3:40 pm
Questions We Thought, But Didn¹t Ask, in 2007

By Brad Stone

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/24/questions-we-thought-but-didnt-ask-
in-2007/index.html?hp

If the local cable company¹s customer service phone help line always has
³longer than expected² hold times, when does it ever have ³shorter than
expected² hold times?

If you know someone obsessively checks their e-mail on their iPhone, should
you be insulted when they fail to answer your e-mail in a timely manner?

Consumer electronics companies sheath their products in vacuum-sealed
packaging that are impossible to open. Why are they so afraid of us using
their products?

I am married with a house. Why do I see so many ads for online dating sites
and cheap mortgages?

Should I be happy that I see those ads? It means Internet advertisers still
have no idea who I am.

As my number of Facebook friends inevitably expands, with second and
third-tier acquaintances and complete strangers joining my network (I am too
nice to deny them), doesn¹t the value of my ³social graph² decline?

If every Facebook user routinely says they ignore the ads on the site, how
has the company become so valuable?

If Internet supremacy is inherently ephemeral as Yahoo, AOL and
innumerable other companies have all demonstrated over the last decade why
isn¹t their inevitable declines baked into the stratospheric valuations of
today¹s online leaders?

Are all MySpace users spam bots?

Google has thrived by proving that computer users value speed above nearly
all else. So why does each Microsoft Windows device I use take longer and
longer to boot up?

Microsoft says its release of its new operating system, Vista is a success
and that sales of licenses are brisk. If that¹s true, why does it seem all
users of the operating system loathe it?