[Infowarrior] - CNET to hawk 'Windows Certified'

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 23 13:46:59 UTC 2007

Anyone else think this is a minor conflict-of-interest for a technology
journalism organization to jump in bed with a vendor in the manner?
(Disclaimer: I have penned op-eds for their News.Com site over the years)

-rf

CNET Channel Announces Its Collaboration With Microsoft to Bring the Windows
Vista Logo Program to Online Retailers and Their Customers
Wednesday August 22, 8:00 am ET

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CNET Channel, a division of CNET Networks,
Inc. (Nasdaq:CNET - News), today announced it has collaborated with
Microsoft to distribute information about products that have earned the
Certified for Windows Vista or the Works with Windows Vista logo. Thousands
of innovative products from the world's leading hardware and software
manufacturers have been tested to meet the requirements of Windows Vista
Logo Program for ease of use, better performance and enhanced security on
Windows Vista-based PCs. CNET Channel, the leading provider of online
product content and solutions, now enables online retailers in North
America, Europe and Australia to access this logo information so millions of
consumers and businesses can have more confidence and higher satisfaction
with the products they choose.

CNET Channel's high-quality, accurate and consistent product content helps
over 2,100 high technology manufacturers and channel businesses in 35
national markets drive their online businesses and increase sales
effectiveness. As an aggregator of best of breed content and e-commerce
services, CNET Channel will now deliver 'Certified for Windows Vista' and
'Works with Windows Vista' logo information with its product content, rich
media solutions and professional services that help retailers, resellers,
distributors and manufacturers maximize their online business potentials.
CNET Channel's solutions, combined with the Windows Vista Logo Program,
contribute to business by providing the solutions that help consumers make
confident, rapid, easy buying decisions every day.

"Manufacturers know it is essential that their products are identified as
Certified for Windows Vista so customers can make fast, confident buying
decisions," said Steve Parrott, general manager of CNET Channel. "They also
know that CNET Channel has the greatest reach into the online retail
marketplace, providing product data and solutions to the biggest e-commerce
sites. One of the reasons we're able to work with Microsoft is because of
the vast reach of our content syndication and the integrity of our
solutions. We're looking forward to helping consumers throughout the world
make educated and confident buying decisions about products that are
Certified for Windows Vista."

< - >

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070822/20070822005061.html?.v=1