[Infowarrior] - Clogging our courts? A warped perspective on things

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Sep 29 09:29:39 EDT 2006

Interesting difference of what "clogging our courts" means these days:

``Detainees from Guantanamo have clogged our courts with more than 420
lawsuits challenging everything from their access to the Internet to the
quality of their recreation facilities," her office said in a statement that
called the lawsuits ``an abuse of our court system."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/09/28/legal_resid
ents_rights_curbed_in_detainee_bill?mode=PF)

..but it's obviously okay to "clog the courts" with lawsuits over music and
movie downloading, and this isn't "abusing" our court system:

"The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) announced that the major
Hollywood motion picture studios would be filing hundreds of lawsuits
against individuals using peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing software to access
movies online. In so doing, Hollywood follows in the footsteps of the music
industry, which has filed more than 6,000 lawsuits against file sharers
since September 2003."
http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/MPAA_v_ThePeople/

Interesting.

-rf