[Infowarrior] - comment: More fun with the detainee bill....

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Sep 27 09:38:09 EDT 2006

This whole detainee mess (torture, habeus corpus, evidentiary rules, etc.)
is making America's self-proclaimed "bastion of democratic examples" into an
international mockery full of grandiose but totally-hypocritical rhetoric
backed by an unwavering belief in unilaterial views and absolutist actions.
Is it any wonder anti-American sentiment is growing in all parts of the
world (and not just the Muslim regions?)

I don't care what the "enemy" is -- soldier or terrorist or Barney the
Dinosaur -- we as Americans need to not just talk the moral high road but
walk it as well.  Not just to protect our troops/people overseas but to
retain our moral role as the planet's foremost democracy.  Unless, of
course, we're going to start calling it "American Democracy" instead....in
which case, we can make things up as we go along.  Like we are.

Signed, a concerned citizen.

-rf

Detainee Bill in Final Stages
White House Appears to Be Winning Wide Legal Latitude
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601
638_pf.html

Letter From Intelligence and Military Professionals on Use of Torture
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/092606S.shtml