[Infowarrior] - FCC Fear Cancels PBS Airing of Œ Marie Antoinette ¹

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Sep 26 09:09:30 EDT 2006

FCC Fear Cancels PBS Airing of ŒMarie Antoinette¹

>From Denver Post, September 26, 2006
http://www.freepress.net/news/17917

Fear of fines from the Federal Communications Commission caused Rocky
Mountain PBS to cancel tonight¹s showing of the two-hour documentary ³Marie
Antoinette.²

Instead, the network, which includes KRMA-Channel 6 in Denver, will show
³The Naked Planet,² ³The Dead Sea² and ³The Grand Canyon,² beginning at 9
p.m.

³I took a look at it at 10 this morning,² said James Morgese, president and
general manager of RMPBS. ³What I saw is nothing worse than what you see on
TV elsewhere, but in this era of heightened sensitivity by the FCC, fines
are pretty stiff.²

Specifically, he said, the questionable scenes were 200-year-old pencil
drawings of nude couples having sex and ³a very specific² discussion of
Louis VXI¹s apparent impotency.

³It¹s a good show, historical and factual,² said Morgese, adding that the
show will air at 10 p.m. on an undetermined date. ³After 10 p.m. and before
6 a.m. is considered Œsafe harbor¹ where you can do these things and not get
into trouble.²

Some PBS outlets pulled the program entirely, others are moving to a later
hour and some will show it at its schedule time. ³It will be interesting to
see what happens,² said Morgese.

The FCC has heavily fined some radio and television stations for language
and scenes deemed to be obscene.

This article is from Denver Post. If you found it informative and valuable,
we strongly encourage you to visit their website and register an account to
view all their articles on the web. Support quality journalism.