[Infowarrior] - Apple Recall items of interest

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Sep 1 13:25:51 EDT 2006

The Apple battery recall has been in the news for what -- at least a week or
more....yet JUST this morning I received an e-mail recall notice from them.
(Item #1)

Included was a URL for their tech support site to begin the exchange
process.  While the email appears to be a legit one from the company, it was
sent not only in HTML (ugh!) but without any form of digital signature to
help verify its authenticity. (Item #2)

Is it me or does this seem like a slow response time to get an e-mail out to
its customers warning them that their laptops might ignite -- especially
when it's been in a huge story in the mainstream media for a while anyway?

And more disturbing, why is Apple sending official notes out to folks
telling them to "visit a URL"  but not digitally-signing them? That looks to
me like a perfect opportunity for a phishing scam ripe for the taking if
someone wanted to mess with folks.  Tsk, tsk, Apple.

-rf