[Infowarrior] - Great op-ed on books v. online reading

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu May 18 15:38:18 EDT 2006

Books and crooks
http://www.globalpov.com/archives/2006/05/books_and_crooks.html

Books.

I was thinking about them this morning as i continue to edit mine. Several
articles have been flying around the press lately making much of Google's
deep indexing of books, both those in the public domain and those that are
not.

This never bothered me and I think that I know why. Reading a book is an
experience. Those of us who truly enjoy reading find it to be one of the
most pleasant parts of the day. We all have our little habits, our routines
on how we read a book. Some people curl up in an armchair, I like lo lie
back on a couch. Book reading is so tactile. The feel of the cover and the
creak of the binding on a new book, the way virginal pages act when first
touched.

Reading is immersive. It's like subtitled films. People that don't make a
habit of watching them are usually surprised at how quickly they slip into a
trance whereby the reading is just another form of sensory input blending
into the visual and auditory stimulus.

Now what about non-physical books? I hate reading books on a computer.
EVERYONE hates reading books on a computer. The usual reason given is the
lack of a tactile experience as described above. But I think that it's more
than that. Computers are about finding information quickly. Our brain works
in concert with our mouse-clicking hand and our darting eye to quickly find
the fact that we need. This is rotten frame of mind to be in when you're
reading something for enjoyment.

The idea of indexing the world's books doesn't bother me at all. It will be
used for research, for reference, maybe to win a bar bet. The idea that
someone will download a book, say hacked from Google, for instance, then
print the book on a laser printer, bind it somehow, sit down and read it,
and then that they'll enjoy it as much as they would reading a fine
leather-bound book is simply ludicrious. For one thing, it'll cost $5-$10
bucks anyway to print it. For another, you won't get look and feel of the
original book or even the fonting, you'll get flat, boring text. For
another, people who read, read. They wouldn't want to do this. The people
who will steal and read a book and be satisfied with the laser printout will
be the once-a-year book reader and they will undoubtedly be stealing the Da
Vinci code anyway.

The experience of reading is special, pleasant and comforting for many of
us. Substituting a digital equivalent is like drinking cognac from a jelly
jar. Sure you can do it and it will intellectually taste the same as being
drunk from a fine heaviy leaded-crystal snifter, but it leaves something
lacking.