[Infowarrior] - CNBC Viewer Feedback

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jun 12 13:44:47 EDT 2006

Many of you know I use CNBC as background noise during the day. While it's
"new" (6 month) format change isn't all that bad, they're playing horrific
games with audio effects in an effort to be "hip" or "cool" as they prepare
for the launch of the Fox Business Channel sometime this year.

Anyway....recently, their new "swoosh" sound effect (chord) used for graphic
transitions took on a greater annoyance factor last week...but when they
played it 5 times in 15 seconds today, I almost threw the television off the
balcony.  Ergo, earlier this afternoon, I called the number below and left a
polite message expressing my frustration with this "nails on a chalkboard"
sound effect and how (besides the annoyance factor) it detracts from the
on-air commentaries if/when I wanted to pay more attention.

To my amazement, I got a call back in 15 minutes, which I certainly didn't
expect from a major media broadcaster -- which impressed me.

The person -- perhaps a production intern -- said while they've been
innundated with complaints recently about the new audio fx the producers
haven't done anything about it.  I gathered she was just as annoyed by this
item (or the volume of calls she fielded) as I was.  Grumble, grumble.

That said, I suggest anyone wanting to register a complaint about this
latest audio fx annoyance should call CNBC Viewer Services at 877-251-5685.

Maybe somebody in charge there will wake up and realize the way to keep
viewers isn't by pissing them off endlessly during the day.

-rick
Infowarrior.org