[Infowarrior] - Amnesty for NSA surveillence?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jun 9 22:10:21 EDT 2006

Frankly, I think Specter's "compromise" bill is a sellout.  My cynical two
cents from this WaPo article follow.

> The new proposal specifies that it cannot "be construed to limit the
> constitutional authority of the President to gather foreign intelligence
> information or monitor the activities and communications of any person
> reasonably believed to be associated with a foreign enemy of the United
> States."

Translation:  Don't try to limit executive powers.  Winner: White House.

> Another part of the Specter bill would grant blanket amnesty to anyone who
> authorized warrantless surveillance under presidential authority, a provision
> that seems to ensure that no one would be held criminally liable if the
> current program is found illegal under present law.

Translation: We're pretty sure we're okay, but if somehow this turns out to
be illegal, please make sure everyone involved is legally-covered just in
case we overstepped our legal authorities.  Winner: White House

> A third provision would consolidate the 29 cases that have been filed in
> various federal district courts challenging the legality of the NSA program
> and give jurisdiction over them to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court
> of Review, which was established by FISA. Any decision of that court would be
> subject to Supreme Court review and otherwise would be binding on all other
> courts.

Translation: Let's minimize the potential that one or more of the 29 cases
filed will go against the Administration.  Winner: White House

< - >

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/08/AR2006060801
992_pf.html