[Infowarrior] - MySpace down for power outage

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jul 24 08:43:32 EDT 2006

OMG!!! MySpace goes titsup
Teen angst
By Andrew Orlowski
Published Monday 24th July 2006 11:23 GMT
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/24/myspace_titsup/

The United States' most popular website has been taken offline by a power
outage.

A message from MySpace founder and president Tom Anderson said he expected
the site to be back by early Sunday evening, Pacific Time. Eight hours
later, the site was still out of action.

Teenagers and lurking paedophiles were offered the chance to play a Flash
version of the arcade classic PacMan, instead.

Cute.

"There's been a power outage in our data center. we're in the process of
fixing it right now, so sit tight. hopefully we'll be back online within the
hour. it's 6:40pm PST now. wanna place a bet?" wrote founder and president
Tom Anderson, whose CapsLock key also appears to be on the blink.

MySpace has suffered intermittent down time over the past fortnight. Last
October, a few lines of invalid JavaScript on a user's web page brought the
site to its knees. The author, who was learning AJAX programming for the
first time, put the blame on web browsers executing invalid code.

But cute messages and chronic unreliability are a feature of the current
wave of 'Web 2.0' websites and services. TypePad suffered another serious
outage 10 days ago; Flickr is notorious for its unreliability, and a
Flickr-clone called Zooomr "launched" recently, only to disappear again for
several days. ®