[Infowarrior] - DHS's Unlimited "Priorities"

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Jul 13 10:02:18 EDT 2006

The Department of Homeland Security's Unlimited "Priorities"

Yesterday's New York Times story on the Department of Homeland Security's
promiscuous "National Asset Database" is custom made for satire.

An Amish popcorn company, the Groundhog Zoo in Pennsylvania, a kangaroo
conservation center, literally some beach somewhere "at the end of the
street," all listed in THE government database of critical infrastructure
and key resources, a list that just also happens to exclude the Statue of
Liberty and Empire State Building.

"We don't find it embarrassing" at all, the DHS spokesman responded to an
internal Inspector General's report on the database.  The Department pulled
out all the patent bureaucratic answers: It is still too early in the
process to assess the database, the "states" provided "quirky totals" that
still need to be double checked, with more time and more money, we'll
produce an even bigger, better list.

< - >

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2006/07/the_department_of_homela
nd_sec_1.html