[Infowarrior] - RIAA takes on "schoolyard piracy" (and a great Baiinwol soundbyte)

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Aug 19 10:45:05 EDT 2006

I wonder when playgrounds and song-swapping between classmates becomes
linked to terrorism and child pron.  These folks -- the RIAA and MPAA --
obviously NEED someone to go after, otherwise they'll go out of
business.....they NEED an enemy....or at least, a boogeyman....

< - >

Those figures are a big problem for the Recording Industry Association of
America and the Motion Picture Association of America, both of which have
spent millions of dollars to deter copying of any kind. The music industry
now considers so-called "schoolyard" piracy -- copies of physical discs
given to friends and classmates -- a greater threat than illegal
peer-to-peer downloading, according to the RIAA.

Similarly, an MPAA spokesperson said that in the U.S. copying and
reproducing DVDs is a bigger problem than illegal downloading of movies.

< -  >

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/lifestyle/orl-pollmusic0906aug09,0,3
450772.story?coll=orl-living-headlines

...but this one takes the cake for blatant misrepresentation....."We've made
substantial progress educating people that downloading copyrighted music for
free is illegal," says Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman.

Ummm --- you can copyright music and make it available for free and LEGAL
downloading, you know.  While I have copyrighted all my articles, they are
free for all to use/republish/redistribute...I make no money from them.  Yet
again, we see industry association cluebats equtating "downloading
copyrighted music for free"  with illegality.  Idiots.

-rf