[Infowarrior] - Airlines ban hand luggage from UK

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 10 08:22:50 EDT 2006

(Between this and the new TSA prohibition on carryon liquids we're inching
closer to the "don hospital gown and take two Valium before boarding" mode
of commercial aviation, I think.....but speaking of liquids, does that mean
they're shutting down all the concession stands in the sterile areas of
airports? .....rf)

Airlines ban hand luggage from UK
Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:05 AM ET
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-08-
10T070534Z_01_L10808905_RTRUKOC_0_US-TRANSPORT-BA.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

LONDON (Reuters) - Airlines banned hand luggage on flights out of the United
Kingdom on Thursday and warned of massive delays after British police said
they had disrupted a plot to blow up aircraft in mid-flight.

All carriers, including British Airways, United Airlines and Virgin
Atlantic, stepped up security on news of the plot to smuggle bombs on board
a flight between Britain and the United States.

Passengers were banned from carrying any hand luggage on board flights,
including mobile phones and handbags, airlines and airport authorities said.

All liquids were banned on board except for essential medicines. Milk for
babies would be allowed on board but must be tasted by the accompanying
passenger, UK airport operator BAA said in a statement.

"British Airways, acting on instruction from the UK Government, wishes to
advise passengers that no items of hand baggage can be carried on board any
aircraft departing any UK airport," the airline said in a statement.

"The UK government has advised that this instruction will apply to all
airlines operating from UK airports."

The Department of Transport said in a statement on its Web site that
security at all UK airports had been increased and additional security
measures had been put in place on all flights.

BAA Plc, which operates three of London's biggest airports including
Heathrow, said all passengers would be hand searched and their footwear and
all items they carry would be X-rayed.

It added that all passengers on flights to the United States would be
subject to a secondary search at the boarding gate.

"We are cooperating fully with the authorities," said a spokesman for United
Airlines, which is one of just two U.S. airlines, along with American, that
have landing rights at London's main Heathrow airport.

Carriers not flying on transatlantic routes were also affected. Low-cost
airlines Ryanair and easyJet said significant delays should be expected.

"Our first-wave flights are currently in the process of taking off. We did
not have aircraft in the air when we heard about this first thing this
morning," an easyJet spokesman said.

Shares in BA were expected to fall about 4 percent in early trade, dealers
said.

(Additional reporting by Jason Neely)