[Infowarrior] - Comments on my OSX browser RFI

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Apr 27 08:31:46 EDT 2006

Quick reply as I have to get going early today, but my preferred
browser of the past couple of months is now Camino. I got fed up with
Safari's slowness and inability to handle sites.

< snip >

I know I shouldn't laugh, but memory leaks are what finally made me give up
safari for firefox. I think those leaks, and regular restarts are probably
just part of the deal. FYI, those restarts aren't so painful when the Mr
Tech and Tab Mix Plus extensions are installed; tab mix includes a session
saver, so all your tabs get saved, and Mr Tech includes a simple restart
firefox command.

I have found that FF's memory leaks on my macbookpro went down fairly
drastically after they released and I upgraded to the universal binary
version.

Also, paring down the list of active firefox extensions, and keeping up to
date with the ones installed helped me out as well. Nobody wants to be this
guy: http://splasho.com/blog/wp-content/pic2.html

< snip >

I use Omniweb on my main computer.  The tab interface is by far the best
out there, as is the search blank (which goes to Scroogle, I can't get
Netscape or Safari's to do the same), the easy bookmark management, the
privacy settings, and so on.  The way it saves the sites you were
browsing before you quit is also awesome.  Oh yeah, and it's add
blocking blows away everything out there, including Privoxy.  It's
downsides are relatively slow speed and incompatibility with some
sites.  That's why I keep Safari and Firefox on the machine as well.

On my second machine I use Safari mostly, because it's faster and more
stable most of the time than Firefox.  Firefox is around for
Pricegrabber.com, because Safari runs too slow.  I'd use Omniweb, but
out of the box, Omniweb needs a lot of tweaking for the add blocking
and I just haven't bothered.

< snip >

I do use Safari as my main browser.

The few things that do need improving in my view (like choosing where
attachments can be saved) can be often accomplished by Automator actions.

The one big advantage Safari has for the roadwarrior is that it follows the
network settings (proxy et al). So one can have different proxy settings
incl. logins with the network settings for each location one travels.

For the things that don't work with Safari I use Firefox and Netscape (some
sites actually check strings and are only happy if an IE on Windows or some
Netscape comes along...).