[Infowarrior] - OSVDB Selected for Google ¹ s Summer of Code 2006

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Apr 24 08:16:21 EDT 2006

OSVDB Selected for Google¹s Summer of Code 2006

We are very pleased to report that OSVDB was selected for Google¹s Summer of
Code! This is great news as we hope to get some of the services and projects
that have been on the back burner due to lack of development resources
finally launched!

You can read about Google¹s SoC here:
http://code.google.com/soc/

With our Summer of Code project work, we hope to make several exciting
enhancements to OSVDB¹s public services. We have provided a list of
important projects we are currently planning for­however we are open to
proposals for other projects and ideas.

You can read about OSVDB¹s Project Ideas here:
http://www.osvdb.org/summerofcode.php

OSVDB has been working very hard to provide many additional types of a
services to the community. Unfortunately, as mentioned due to lack of
development resources we have been unable to make much of this happen. We
now have an opportunity to possibly deliver on the OVSDB Portal and OSVDB
Ethical Disclosure Framework commitments that we made when the project first
opened.

You can read the public announcements with our intentions to provide OSVDB
portal and disclosure services:

OSVDB Objectives
http://www.osvdb.org/OSVDB-Objectives.php

Vendor Dictionary Announcement
http://www.osvdb.org/news.php#vendorDictSiteUpgrade

Personally, I am absolutely thrilled that we may have the resources to
develop the OSVDB Ethical Disclosure Framework. This has been one of the
projects that I have been wanting for years and is validated as we see more
and more issues with the disclosure process! I have believed all along that
OSVDB can be the service that helps to improve, streamline and more
importantly removes the mystery of the breakdowns in the process.

OSVDB has been handling one-off disclosures for researchers over the past
3-4 years and it is not an easy task. The amount of time it takes to handle
a disclosure process is huge. We realized early on that a lot of the process
needed to be automated in order to be successful and repeatable. Hopefully,
there are some students out there that want to be apart of creating this
service and we can get it launched by the end of the year!