[Dataloss] dumpster diving in Edinburg Tx

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Sun May 4 00:26:54 UTC 2008

http://www.newschannel5.tv/2008/4/30/990568/Cornerstone-Identification-Problems

NEWSCHANNEL 5 investigation uncovers a breach in document security at a
Valley fitness club

MCALLEN - This story came to our attention after NEWSCHANNEL 5's Lisa
Cortez received a phone call from a complete stranger on her cell phone.

He had Lisa's contract from Cornerstone Fitness. He knew not only her
phone number, but also her address, employer, and a copy of a check used
to pay her account. He also had about 30 other contracts.

That person is Sammy Zumwalt. He agreed to meet with NEWSCHANNEL 5. "It
has everything you would want to know about them. I think those people
deserve to know about it, " said Zumwalt.

All contracts list names, addresses and phone numbers. Some of them list
social security numbers and have copies of checks and credit cards.

Zumwalt says his friend found a filing cabinet in a dumpster behind the
former Cornerstone Fitness Center for Women in Edinburg.

The center shut down several months ago.

He says around the time the center closed, his friend took the filing
cabinet from the dumpster, cleared it out and gave Zumwalt the trash inside.

Zumwalt explains why he took the trash. "He actually asked me to dispose
of them because he lives out in the country and he's not able to throw
them the same way we would."

The paperwork was in Zumwalt's room for several weeks.

Recently, he decided to go through the stack of papers and came across
the sensitive information.

Zumwalt turned the contracts over to NEWSCHANNEL 5.

NEWSCHANNEL 5 sorted through the contracts and contacted several members
from the pile.

"I mean, I don't even know how to explain how I feel, because I am so in
shock," said one woman after we read her social security number.

[...]