[Dataloss] rant: Abandon Ship! Data Loss Ahoy!

macadamiamac macadamiamac at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 01:15:23 UTC 2008

	A Qualsys (a good system) - or equivalent
installation, insurance and whatever other
components a business may implement to protect
its PII data is not a set it and forget it
procedure. Kryptonite proof it ain't. No system
is 100% immune from all risk.
	A savvy CTSO, with the cooperation and
support of senior management will implement all
of the components: training its personnel, hard
and software firewalls, changing passwords
periodically, encrypting data in use, purging
data no longer needed, periodic random testing of
the system, and whatever else to reduce risk of
data loss - internal and external.
	An even smarter management team will have
all of the foregoing incorporated into its
culture and have on deck 1)a breach management
plan; 2)notification and PR templates; 3) a
recovery plan; and, 4) a re$erve or insurance.

	There are federal regulations - [see FTC
12 CFR § 315 et. seq. of the FACT Act], becoming
effective in November 2008 that mandate that
financial institutions, their providers and
anyone else who deals with consumer credit (and
the PII data necessary to conduct their
business), implement a host of must dos or face
penalties.

	A not in compliance business that suffers a breach will be subject to:
	* Civil Liability - Actual damages
sustained if identity is stolen as a result of
corporate inaction or statutory damages up to
$1,000 per affected individual;
	* Class-Action Lawsuits - If large
numbers of individuals are affected, they may be
able to bring class-action suits and get punitive
damages;
	* Federal Fines - Up to $2,500 for each violation; and
	* State Fines - Up to $1,000 for each
violation depending upon jurisdiction.

	So maybe a little insurance isn't such a bad idea, n'est pas?

Sanford Lung
Honolulu  (yes, there are ID fraudsters in paradise)
http://www.identitysafeguards.com