[Dataloss] rant: Abandon Ship! Data Loss Ahoy!

Kevin McPoyle kmcpoyle at kmrdpartners.com
Thu Mar 20 22:00:08 UTC 2008

What I find interesting is the recognition among the readers and pundits
that this is an imperfect world with respect to security.  With that in
mind, I'm unclear as to why organizations don't transfer a portion of
this risk to others through an insurance product?  It seems rational and
clearly represents some mitigating of a scenario that will happen, not
if, when.  Policies are readily available, negotiable and clearly a deal
compared to other costs.  No one like to "waste" money on
insurance...until there is a claim.  The supermarket had D&O with which
to fend off the legal dogs.  Why don't they have a "cyber" policy?
Whose making these good decisions?