[Dataloss] Consumers of Hannaford Brothers Co. Supermarkets File Class Action Suit

Mike Simon msimon at creationlogic.com
Thu Mar 20 18:25:20 UTC 2008

I've been quiet on the topic of certification, compliance and fault
based on these ideas so far, but I'm hearing some pretty strong
statements that I have problems with. The idea that a certification or
endorsement of compliance to a standard of protection should make the
certifying body responsible if data in subsequently lost seems a bit
harsh considering that the certifying agency had no control of the
operation of the compromised systems after they did their testing.
Essentially certification/compliance typically shows that at a
specific point in time the system met certain conditions - nothing
more. If the testing was never done, or it was done and the results
falsified that's one thing. Holding the auditors responsible for all
system behavior after that point in time is hard to fathom.

For me, that points to an increased need to audit IT practices in some
kind of continuous improvement loop (CMM level 5) rather than trying
to hang auditors out to dry every time someone mis configures their
firewall a few weeks after the last audit.

To answer your question, I would hold Visa responsible if they had
anything to do with falsely certifying conditions at Hannaford to be
safe, but not for putting in place a mechanism designed to improve the
overall stance of their partners and not somehow making it perfect.