[Dataloss] rant: Abandon Ship! Data Loss Ahoy!

Kim Zelonis k-zelonis at northwestern.edu
Wed Mar 19 18:22:34 UTC 2008

I agree that there are a lot of snake oil salesmen selling security products
nowadays.  Their overstated marketing claims prey on fear and lead to false
senses of security.  The Rapid 7 marketing is no exception.

However, despite its stronger claims it seems like NeXpose is simply a
scanning and compliance reporting tool.  In order for such a tool to be
effective the user must
1) configure the tool properly to include all appropriate assets and apply
the correct rule sets, and
2) fix vulnerabilities once identified.

It is plausible that Hannaford did not run scans against all their systems
(as implied by the revised press release).  Even if they did scan those
systems they might have not reviewed the reports or acted on any findings.

NeXpose is just a tool.  I can't say whether it's a good tool, but even if
it is there is still the need to skilled and informed people using.