[Dataloss] A data security breach legislation question

Rebecca Herold rebeccaherold at rebeccaherold.com
Wed Mar 12 14:31:34 UTC 2008

Hi Rob,

True, privacy breach notification is basically a necessity that all organizations must now be prepared for since the majority of states already have breach notice laws in place, and more are coming along all the time.  In fact, all organizations handling personally identifiable information (PII) should create a privacy breach response plan, that is tied in with the information security response plan, and not wait to try and handle a privacy breach ad hoc.

However, choosing just one state privacy breach notice law, such as California, to follow would be a risky proposition; there are some very subtle, but important differences within each of the separate laws.  For example, there are distinct differences in how the different laws:

  a.. Define encryption (some have technical specifications, others have vague descriptions)
  b.. Define a breach (some name specific situations, others give a vague description)
  c.. Define when notification is required (yes, again some provide some details while others are vague)
  d.. Etc...several more...
In general, I recommend to the businesses I work with that they identify the most most stringent requirements across the board, and then build their privacy breach response plans to meet compliance with those.

I just wrote a couple of papers; one about making the "reasonable belief" decision for when a privacy breach has occurred, and one about deprivacy breach notification decisions.  (If interested you can download them from http://nexus.realtimepublishers.com/rtitc.htm).

Regarding credit monitoring...
I have seen companies choosing to provide credit monitoring for individuals impacted by breaches, even if not legally required, largely because of precedents set by companies who experienced breaches early on (e.g., Wells Fargo a few years ago) and chose to provide credit monitoring to the impacted individuals to help mitigate customer loss that could have resulted.  When companies start providing such services, and it is well publicized that they are doing so, it sets the bar high for all other companies; it establishes a type of defacto expectation in the public.

Best regards,

Rebecca

Rebecca Herold, CISSP, CIPP, CISM, CISA, FLMI
Rebecca Herold & Associates LLC

rebeccaherold at rebeccaherold.com
http://www.privacyguidance.com
Blog: http://www.realtime-itcompliance.com