[Dataloss] stolen laptop in Irving Tx in March

Henry Brown hbrown at knology.net
Sun Jun 15 19:22:33 UTC 2008

from a copy of the "required" letter sent to the New Hampshire Attorney
General...

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/r_e_moulton.pdf

Date May 23

[...]
R.E. Moulton is a leader in the medical stop-loss insurance industry and
the stop-loss insurance products administered by it are available
nation-wide. We are writing to inform you of an incident involving the
possible disclosure of personal information. Specifically, on or around
March 7,2008, thieves broke into our Irving, Texas regional office and
stole a laptop computer containing personally identifiable information
of numerous individuals, including names in combination with social
security numbers. A police report was filed and the police are actively
investigating this crime.

Personal information was on the stolen laptop because R.E. Moulton
receives requests to provide quotes for stop-loss insurance coverage.
Approximately 19,000 individuals were affected, although there may be
duplicates on our master list; this means that the list of affected
individuals may be smaller. At this time, we are unable to determine the
number of New Hampshire residents, if any, who will be notified of this
incident because the information maintained on the laptop did not
include addresses, but we will provide a list at a later date if we find
that New Hampshire residents were affected.

Letters will be sent to these individuals as soon as we receive their
addresses from their employers or the third parties
who arranged for the insurance quotes. Those employers and third parties
were notified of this incident during the week of May 5, 2008 and are
currently collecting the needed addresses. Depending on the length of
time needed to collect addresses, we hope to start sending letters to
the affected individuals in June.

Please know thaI we have taken this incident very seriously. While we do
not anticipate that any of the information will be used for unauthorized
or malicious purposes, to help those whose information was involved, we
have engaged
[...]