[Dataloss] rant: Useless Compensation for Data Loss Incidents

DAIL, WILLARD A ADAIL at sunocoinc.com
Wed Jun 11 12:17:38 UTC 2008

Being a person that actually put an Incident Response Plan together, I can attest to the fact that it the thought process, at least in our case, was "What is the risk to the consumer and what, if anything can we do to help the consumer mitigate that risk?"

Unfortunately, there's just not much else that a company can do after-the-fact.  We hope our efforts before-the-fact prevent us from ever losing such data, but companies are often at the mercy of the competence of a single employee or sub-contractor on a given day (like the tape courier with a hang-over).  Sure, you can put contracts in place and that makes the bean-counters and lawyers happy, but it doesn't please the ex-cop in me because I deal with violations and exceptions of law, it's my world.

If a lost tape is nothing but credit card PAN's I don't think even credit monitoring is called for, but if your SSN or PII is involved then it's at least something you can do to get some level of early warning.

Where I think the actual problem lies is that most company executives (even most company lawyers) have not caught on to the fact that ISO 27002 is becoming a reference standard for courts to establish a level of "due care" (check Lexus Nexus if you don't believe me) and non-compliant organizations are deemed "Wishy Washy" or "Loose".  So, companies are building IT security processes around PCI, or CoBit, or ITIL, which actually falls under the COSO portion of International Law and they think they are covered, when in reality, the COSO organization only covers financial transactions, and they are missing all of the parallel (and the fact they are parallel and complimentary) controls under the OECD (Laws) and ISO (Standards).

The net effect are security controls that are 1/3 adequate.